*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Roast Chicken Diavolo

Everyday Food came out with a special issue this summer that was very much like the original magazine, but focused on seasonal summer food and cooking.  I made the Roast Chicken Diavolo the other night which called to spatchcock the chicken (remove the backbone, spread the chicken out and press down for faster cooking).  I had seen my mom do this with a chicken in a class I did with her last year and just hadn't done it myself yet.  It was easy to prep and much easier to cut up than a full roasted chicken.  The recipe I followed was pretty good, but I over salted the outside and couldn't eat the skin, which while disappointing was not the worst thing for me with my high cholesterol.  Recipe is not online yet, but here is what I did:

Roast Chicken Diavolo
  • 1 Tbl finely chopped rosemary
  • 1 Tbl finely chopped oregano
  • 2 whole dried chiles de arbol (I skipped this)
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest + 1 Tbl lemon juice
  • s & p
  • 2 Tbl + 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 2 red peppers cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 1 lg yellow onion cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch wedges
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  1. Preheat oven to 425.  In small bowl, stir together rosemary, oregano, chiles, lemon zest and juice and pepper. 
  2. Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with oil.  Place chicken in dish, skin side up.  Spread herb mixture over chicken and under skin of breast.  Season with salt and drizzle oil over it as well.
  3. Roast chicken on upper rack, 10 minutes.  Meanwhile place peppers and onion on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbl oil.  Toss to coat and arrange in a single layer.  Add s & p and put on middle rack. 
  4. Add wine to chicken.  Roast 20 minutes.
  5. Remove pans from oven.  Transfer veggies to pan with chicken arranging around bird.  Roast until skin is golden about 20 minutes.  Rest for 10 minutes. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

Mm-hmmmm! Sounds amazing!