*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Whole Buttered" Onion Soup



 

From Rozanne Gold's Radically Simple book that I copied while at my mom's about a year ago...  Just made it yesterday while trying to cook through the veggies in my frig pre-hurricane.  I got a nice few hours in and made several new things.  This soup came out delicious!  I changed a few things.  I had 2 huge fresh white onions to make 1/2 the recipe.  I didn't have Madeira, so I used Marsala.  Finally, I had more pulp than thin soup, so instead of reserving the pulp to put on top I just mixed it all in.  My house smelled wonderful last night.
"Here's a radical new way to make onion soup. There's no slicing, dicing, or stirring. Instead, whole butered onion bake for 4 hours, oozing luscious juices that caramelize like toffee."

3 pounds medium yellow onions, about 10

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced thin
3 tablespoons Madeira
1-1/2 tablespoons wildflower honey or truffle honey
sprigs of fresh chervil for garnish

  1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Peel the onions. Place in a 6-quart Dutch oven. Top with the butter.
  2. Cover and bake 4 hours, until very soft, turning the onions after 2 hours. Transfer to a large bowl.
  3. Pour 4 cups water into the casserole and scrape up the browned bits. Add to the onions.
  4. In 2 batches if necessary, puree the onion mixture in a food processor until very smooth. Pour through a sieve placed over a medium saucepan. Mash down to extract all the juices. Save the pulp.
  5. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the Madeira and honey. Simmer 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
  6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of onion pulp and chervil. Serves 4

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: