*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Science Fair #2

Rory's Science Fair was yesterday.  Both kids fairs were optional, but I signed them both up figuring they could approach it similarly and they would inspire each other.  Shelagh jumped right in and was eager to work on it for several weeks.  Rory, on the other hand, was not into it at all.  He seemed to like the idea of it but he always would rather do Lego's than actually start the work.  After several weeks of complaining and an overall shitty attitude about it, I decided to let him withdraw.  I usually wouldn't let him quit something but where he has such a great attitude about school and school work in general, I just didn't want to spoil it where the fair was optional anyway and he is only in Kindergarten. 

Well, then Shelagh finished her project and he had this strange reaction to it.  So, being the mean mother I can be, I asked him how he felt, now, about quitting and giving up.  Gasp.  I know.  It was mean, but it worked.  He was LIVID and screamed that he wasn't a quitter and wouldn't give up.  We powered through it this weekend and he was BEYOND proud of himself for seeing it through.  I was really happy that he decided on his own (triggered by my harsh comment) to change his mind and not only do it, but do it well.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT job, Rory! We're soooo proud of you too! Now we know that flowers drink up more water then celery! Glad you decided to complete your project and taught us all a good lesson!

We love & miss all of you!
Love, hugs & kisses,
Uncle Chris & Aunt Harlee