*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, July 1, 2011

Movies b/w Shows

TV is in limbo right now, despite our aggressive year-round Season Passes on a whole slew of networks and cable channels.  We have watched a few movies in the last 2 weeks, all of which I enjoyed and would recommend:

  1. Taking Chance (HBO Movie) - Kevin Bacon stars as a Marine who is not in combat and volunteers to accompany a dead Marine home.  This was a beautiful, slow-paced, really touching movie.  It wasn't sad, per se, but I definitely cried multiple times.  Assuming this is really what happens, the process from death to funeral for a fallen service-person is unbelievable.  I had no idea how much time, care, attention to detail and honor that is bestowed upon each person.  They made a lovely movie out of a several day, not very eventful story.
  2. Too Big To Fail (HBO Movie) - Extremely well cast, simplied explanation about the 2008 financial collapse.  This really helped me understand the domino effect that took place in the financial industry and government.  It was amazing to see the interplay b/w Lehman, the US Treasury and the other top banks each step along the way.  I think this was based on a book written about it, so I would imagine that much of what was portrayed was true, but who knows.  The Lehman CEO was made out to be a complete and total jackass moron.  What a great cast...William Hurt, James Woods, Topher Grace, Billy Crudup, Cynthia Nixon, Evan  Handler, Matthew Modine, etc, etc, etc. 
  3. Somewhere - Sofia Coppola's latest.  I just love all her movies - Virgin Suicides, Marie Antionette, Lost in Translation, and now this too.  Her movies are all focused on cinematic presentation - color, pace, costume, etc.  I really enjoyed this despite how slowly the story was told.  She's awesome!  Stephen Dorff hasn't done much I've seen until this - I enjoyed his performance and noticed he's making 5-6 movies coming out this year and next.  Elle Fanning was great.  Looking forward to seeing her in Super 8.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: