*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, November 9, 2009

My Quiet Weekend

I escaped for a 2-day "me" weekend sans family. It was a much needed getaway for me. The summer, transition to Kindergarten, increased work demands, increased family events, and Kellys lack of sleeping through the night have taken a toll.

I head up to Portsmouth, NH at around 8am on Saturday with frowny faces from the kids. I started the day at the Friendly Toast for breakfast. I chose the "Guy Scramble" which was eggs scrambled with avocado, black beans, and cheddar. The home fries were sliced thin and well-seasoned and the toast was a good 1-1 1/2 inches thick homemade wheat. I sat quietly, drank coffee, read my book and cruised my iPhone for a good hour plus. Heaven.

I then strolled through town browsing, shopping, enjoying the beautiful Fall New England sunshine and crisp air. I got a few things at Second Time Around, this high-end consignment shop that has locations in the Boston area also. I've needed pants desperately for the last few months so it was great to find a pair there for $20. Stationary store, funky toy stores, insanely cool kitchen stores...ending up at the Portsmouth Brewery. I enjoyed a beer and some chowder while waiting for my friend to meet me and join me for the rest of the day and overnight.

Great girlfriend time. I see my friends often, but almost always with kids. I forget how mentally rejuvenating it is to get a few solid hours catching up with friends. You don't realize how much you miss that until you haven't had it for awhile. We changed for dinner and had a nice meal out...I had duck (which I always order if it's on a menu and I'm not with Joe since he doesn't like it and we usually like to share/taste each others meals) and she had lamb.

We stayed at the Portsmouth Inn and Spa and enjoyed a nice communal breakfast with 2 other families before she left and I head to the spa for a massage. Fantastic massage and then I head over to Kittery, Maine to do some Outlet shopping, mostly for myself.

I'm happy to report that I've dropped a size and that hasn't happened since before I got married probably, over 7 years ago. The bad news is that I didn't do it in a careful and healthy manner...who the hell has time to eat with 3 kids????? Either way, it is what it is and it's a nice problem to have finally. I'm tired of cinching my pants with belts pulled to the last hole and looking like a hobo. I got 4 pairs of pants across the consignment shop, Banana, and Ann Taylor. I got a gorgeous silk red top for Joe's work Xmas dinner which I'm pumped to wear and an outfit for my family Xmas. I finally got some much needed black dress pumps (I've been wearing strappy year round b/c they are my only black heels!) and everyday brown low boots. Of course I got a few things for the kids. I ended my day with a Fried Clam Roll at Bob's Clam Hut (heaven...wolfed down in about 5 minutes, I might add).

No comments: