*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, June 18, 2010

CSA Dinner

Managed to get several CSA items into 1 dinner for me and Joe on the kids Mac & Cheese night. The Broccoli Rabe and Turnips became sides, along with salad including 4 kinds of CSA lettuce and 2 kinds of radishes. I don't usually order broccoli rabe when at a restaurant because I always find it just too bitter. I liked the way I made it this time though, a la Everyday Food...thank you AGAIN Martha Stewart.

I started off with this Sauteed Broccoli Rabe recipe and then turned it into what I know Broccoli Rabe to be - GARLICKY. I dropped it into the boiling salted water and then sauteed it in olive oil for awhile (the stalks are firm so I figured they'd need some time) and finally added some sliced elephant garlic over lowered heat for awhile. I really liked it. Joe was not partial, but he ate it all the same.

I wanted to mash the turnips, but I didn't think I had enough in the bunch I got so instead I roasted them with shallots. I started off with this Glazed turnips recipe and ended up with turnips and shallots tossed in olive oil and salt and roasted. I did make a glaze...I started with Red Wine Vinegar and fresh thyme leaves and let that boil down a bit. I added butter, salt, and a little brown sugar and let that thicken (a little too much actually b/c it burned a bit). I poured the glaze over the finished veggies. Really yummy.

The chicken was a teriyaki ginger marinated chicken breast from Trader Joes that I browned in the pan and then put into the oven to finish for 10 minutes.

No comments: