*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Books: The Twilight Series

I'm addicted to these books...Yes, they are Young Adult books and they are about Vampires. Don't make fun of me until you've read the 1st one. Stephenie Meyer has written a series of books including Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. The 4th book, Breaking Dawn, is scheduled to be published August 2nd. If you ever read the Vampire books by Anne Rice (Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, etc) and liked them, you might like these. Meyers books are about the Vampire world; but moreso about a deep love story between a human teenaged girl and a Vampire (at least through Book 2). I'm waiting for Book 3 from the library and have pre-reserved Book 4.

Anyone who has talked to me about books knows I have a strong stance on not Author rushing. It's hard to avoid, but I try not to do it. When you have a great experience reading a book all you want to do is read another by that author and another. Then, lo and behold, there are none left and the author is dead (see Leon Uris who wrote one of my favorite books of all time, Exodus).

I have broken my own rule here, after I teased a co-worker for doing the same with this particular series. I read Book 1 on her recommendation as her 13-yr old daughter read it and loved it. She read them next and if she liked them I knew I would too. She read all 3 in a row and pre-ordered 4. So, looks like that's what I'll be doing. Except that I'm competing against a ton of teenaged girls in the greater Boston area and their summer reading lists and the million copies in my library network are ALL CHECKED OUT! I'm diverting to a book about Marie Antoinette right now that I'm liking probably since I loved the movie by Sofia Coppola not so long ago.

No comments: