*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baby #3: What I've Learned

At this point, I'm 29+ weeks with Baby #3. I've learned a little more with each pregnancy and here's what I'd pinpoint to this one:
  1. With each kid you have, that "I'm-wiped-out-and-feel-like-just-eating-and-watching-tv" feeling that kicks in at the end starts a month earlier than the last time. With Shelagh I had a good, strong energy until the last month. With Rory, until the last 2 months, but I was chasing 18-mo old Shelagh around at the time. This time, it's the last 3 months. I still have energy and am mobile, albeit with a waddle. But, it doesn't take very much for me to overdo it these days and then I'm just crippled and can't get up.
  2. Those "bruises" on my thighs are NOT from walking into the corner of my bed at night, like I had convinced myself. Yes, people, these are collections of broken blood vessels and varicose veins. Please tell me there is a procedure for this when I'm done having kids. Thank God this baby is due in the winter. I can't imagine getting into a bathing suit ANYTIME SOON. Velour suits, here I come.
  3. I love that pregnancy for me comes 2 fabulous side effects: I sleep incredibly heavily (despite waking up every night to pee or calm down a coughing or nightmaring kid) and I only have to shave my legs every week or 2. For some reason, leg hair growth comes to almost a halt. It's a miracle and a good thing b/c I'm lucky enough to be able to tie my shoes these days...who can see down there anyway!

By the way, I passed the 3-hr sugar test I had the pleasure of taking this weekend. I've never been an orange soda kind of girl and I have a hard time consuming a volume of any liquid...just not a drinker. Having to chug the whole bottle of that crappy-sweet orange soda in 5 minutes is like a marathon for me. But, I did it. Then, I proceeded to catch up on my photo albums, continue reading an awesome book I'm completely involved in now, and catch up on the phone with a friend from NJ I haven't talked to in ages. I also found out that I only failed the 1 hour test by 1 point. Nice.

No comments: