*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baby Updates: Sugar Test Failure, Size, Final Stages

It should come to no surprise to anyone that knows me that I failed my sugar test. That's the 1 hour "drink-the-nasty-orange-soda" test that determines if you may or may not have gestational diabetes. Well, not only did I fail, but by 1 point no less. Nice. Now I have to take the 3-hour test. That's something like 3-4 blood draws, more nasty orange soda you have to chug in 5 minutes, and 3 hours in the lab waiting room unable to leave the hospital. Wait a minute...3 hours...quiet...half-way through a new great book that I can't put down. Hmmm...may not be so bad after all.

The good news is it wasn't the 10 lbs of pre-Halloween and post-Halloween chocolate, the Trader Joes peanut butter cups, the pints/quarts of daily ice cream, or the numerous Starbucks specialty drinks I've been consuming after all! The Dr said, while those things could cause me to fail the test if ingested within 12 hours of the blood draw, the history of it isn't what induces the diabetes...you either get it or you don't. Yeah! I proceeded to eat 3 pieces of the hidden Halloween candy to celebrate!

Secondly, despite the fact that
  • I'm at 28 weeks and I seem to have graduated to the full panel on my pants (that's the hideous panel over the entire belly that rests just shy of ones breasts for those men out there)
  • and that I am already waddling
  • and that I've officially fully peed my pants on at least 3 occasions
  • and that I'm short of breath after about 5 stairs
  • and that I'm doing the treadmill at a hefty speed of about 3.2 now

I'm of normal size for 28 weeks. I don't see how that's possible, but I guess it is.

Finally, I've officially graduated to every 2-weeks appointments rather than monthly. And so down the final stretch we go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you know this but I had GD with Sadie. I never failed the sugar test with my other pregnancies so it was a complete surprise. It was hard for me to adhere to the diet but I didn't gain as much weight with Sadie as I did with the other two. Let me know how it goes with the "big" test. I do have to say that after I gave birth, I wanted sushi, a beer and an entire apple pie!

PopMom said...

Last time I had Joe deliver Sushi to me at the hospital within a day of delivery. First time, friends of ours brought me a Guinness, to stimulate milk production, of course. Let's hope for same thing this time!