*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, November 14, 2008

Papazoi (Corn,Barley,Bean Soup)

All of us are sick...just colds, but annoying wake-me-up-all-night coughs and sore throats and LOTS of congestion all around in our house. So, it seemed like a good idea to make soup this week. I decided on this Papazoi Soup recipe I got when taking an Italian Soups class in Cambridge before Joe and I were married...maybe even before we started dating actually. It's an oldie, but goodie.

1 cup Navy Beans (I used canned Pinto, drained)
1 cup Pearl Barley
3/4 cup frozen, defrosted corn
2 Tbl Olive Oil
1/2 cup Bacon, chopped (I usually double bacon in any soup recipe...you can't have enough. I did end up with almost a cup of Bacon)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
9 cups chicken stock (I would use more next time as the beans, barley and potatoes soak up the liquid if you have leftovers...maybe 11 cups?)
1 1/2 cup potatoes, cubed (I used yukon)
1 Tbl parsley, chopped
S & P

1) Heat the oil and then add the bacon. Cook until browned, adding the garlic towards the end.
2) Add the Beans, Barley, Corn, and Potatoes to the pan and sweat them out for 15 minutes or so. Careful not to scorch the bottom of your pan like I did :)
3) Add the stock and boil
4) Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or longer
5) Stir in parsley and S & P to taste

You definitely need bread for dipping and this makes more of a stew by Day 2 if you have leftovers. Joe and I both loved it and Shelagh liked it for the most part too (dodging the barley and potatoes for some weird reason).

No comments: