*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, March 8, 2010

Catch up: Joe Skiing, Trip to NJ, Kids Puking

I've been slow on the blog front over the past week+. Just busy, busy, busy. Joe was on his annual guys ski trip out in Vail this past long weekend. I somehow managed to get the kids all dropped off on time and picked up on 2 work days (they are in 3 separate places, so this was a small miracle). We packed up and head down to NJ for a quick family visit on Friday morning while he was gone. I got to sit in on one of my Moms cooking classes in NYC on Friday night while my sister watched all the kids. It was really fun and nice to see her at work doing what she loves.

The kids had a blast with their cousins too. They are close in age, but my oldest nephew is 2+ years older than Shelagh and almost 4 years older than Rory. My younger nephew is in between my 2 big kids. They always got along, but usually they pair off in some combination at each different visit and usually have some varied interests. This time they were ALL STAR WARS, ALL THE TIME! The spent the entire day on Saturday pretending to be Star Wars guys fighting the bad guys with their light sabers and various other "weapons". While I'm not so crazy about the shift to violent "killing" and "chopping off" games, I am thrilled to see all the imaginative play going on. I don't think the TV went on until late afternoon. Star Wars, of course. It was so nice to see all 4 kids wanting to do the same thing at the same time and thoroughly enjoying each other - fight free for the most part - for the weekend. Rory followed Jacob (8 year old) around constantly. Sat down where he sat, copied him with play, etc. It was way cute. The boys loved snuggling Kelly too and she just sat right in the middle of them and played Yoda with no complaints. Shelagh, my sister and I snuck out for a bit in the afternoon and got mani/pedis and only the redheads got designs on their big toes (Sasha and Shelagh only)...it was pretty special and nice to see Shelagh uncling from me and attach to Sasha.

We drove back early on Sunday so Rory could make his best friends bday party. I made great time and the kids just chilled out listening to Laurie Berkner and watching weird and creepy Barbie movies (who came up with these totally corny movies????). Kelly slept most of the way back and I got to listen to the Best of Howard Stern from this past week including AMAZING interviews he did with Barbara Walters and Harry Shearer. If he leaves Sirius next year when his contract is up I will be devastated.

We got home before the party and the kids surprised Joe (who was sleeping off the Red eye flight from the night before). Rory then completely melted down that he didn't want to go to the party and he wanted his Dad, which was simultaneously adorable and sad at the same time. I convinced him to go, knowing he'd regret not going, while Joe took the girls to the park to enjoy the gorgeous high 50's, sunny weather. He started off great and then melted down twice there - I just figured he was cranky and overheating from running around. He inhaled ice cream and cupcakes and then gummy dinosaurs and then proceeded to puke everything up in 2 separate aisles of the grocery store afterwards. "I need a clean-up in aisle 7 please!!! Some kid puked all over the place!!" I took off his shirt and let him walk around stylin' in my black wool cardigan (All I had left was milk and eggs - did it really make sense to ditch my cart full of groceries and bolt??? I think not). He had a slight fever and made it through the night fine.

Flash forward to this morning when Kelly woke up screaming. Turns out she puked too and then proceeded to wipe it all over her hair and face and into her eyes. It managed to go between the crib slots, into all the crevices in the crib and rails and down onto the crib skirt even. Fun, fun, fun. It took 3 hair washes to get the smell out. So, I'm home today and not able to dial into work because of a technical problem. Back to Sesame Street for me...

No comments: