*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Celeriac Gratin

I feel like I've been reading about Celeriac (or Celery Root) for months now. I've never done anything with it before. I grabbed one from the store this week, but wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I figured I'd roast or mash it or something. Apparently it lends itself well to slaw-type salads as well, but I wasn't in the mood for that. I looked through a few veggie books I have for ideas...
  • Vegetables from the Time/Life Cookbook series from way back when. It had some nice tips on general preparation and cooking styles it works well with. There was a gratin recipe for a quartered Celeriac and a mixed potato/celeriac mash, but I didn't do either.

  • Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and cathleen Hockman-Wert which focuses on vegetables in their prime season. Nothing good in here.
  • Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop - nothing here.
I ended up adapting a recipe from this Celeriac Gratin in Martha Stewarts recipe database. It was HEAVENLY. I used 1 big root instead of 3, 1/2 cup parmesean and 1/2 cup cheddar instead of gruyere b/c I didn't have it, 3/4 cup light cream, and no nutmeg. Also, I par-cooked the celeriac in boiling water for 5-10 minutes first...I'd probably do 5 or not at all next time. Try it!

No comments: