*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spring Vegetable Soup

I'm in serious veggie overload right now.  Don't get me wrong...I want them and love them but haven't been able to keep up with cooking them.  Between the end of year parties, activities, and events I've been swamped.  In between birthday parties and cake making today I whipped up this Spring Vegetable Soup from Everyday Food, last month I think.  For some reason, it's not online.  What is the rhyme or reason for what goes online and what doesn't????  Who knows.  It's simple though...
  • olive oil
  • 2 medium leeks (white, light green parts), halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4 inch slices, rinsed and drained
  • 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and halved
  • 4 cups parsely leaves (from 1 bunch)
  1. In medium pot, heat oil over med-high heat.  Add leeks and season with S & P. Cook, stirring, until leeks are soft and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.  Add broth and potatoes and bring to boil.  Reduce to simmer and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 10 minutes. 
  2. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a processor, combine parsley leaves and 1 tbl oil and process until finely chopped
  4. Remove soup from heat and stir in parsley puree.
Notes: I accidently poured in a 4 cup container of beef broth instead of chicken.  Ooops.  I used the last cup from chicken.  Also, I don't love parsley so I used a mix of mostly basil and some parsley.  This helped me get rid of both green beans and leeks.  Bringing for lunch tomorrow...

No comments: