*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Holy F-ing Bat

There Joe and I were...relaxing on the couch watching a mellow movie about Hitler. When, all of a sudden, Lickey the cat went on high alert and something swooshed through the room. Just when we thought maybe we were wrong (don't you always) - BAM - here it came again. An F-ing BAT!! Seriously!! A freakin' bat was flying around our living room. Although neither of us are fond of rodents, let alone flying rodents, we armed, we attacked, and - yes - we prevailed.

We armed...with dry swiffer, extra wide rake, and shower curtain in hand we planned our next move.

We attacked...we confirmed that our front and back doors were propped open and that all other doors in the house - including our children's bedroom doors - were closed. We noodled over how the hell a bat got into our house (me swearing I was calling rodent control first thing Monday AM NO MATTER WHAT b/c WHAT THE F - we must be infested! What if there is a whole nest or babies or something????). The cat went upstairs to guard the bathroom door needlessly. We have the biggest WUSS cat on the planet.

Joe made several attempts to lunge for it going up the steps, but that wiley bastard out manuevered us. He was circling our upstairs. The plan was put in place. I put on my hoodie and pulled the string tight (b/c as with the single plastic bag that gets put on the eggs that serves virtually no purpose and has no chance in preventing any eggs from breaking, I was sure that my J Crew Navy hoodie would prevent any bat bites from permeating my skin).

We prevailed...I slowly ascended the steps to the landing between the first and second floor. I waved the rake around to lure the creature towards me. I hit the deck. Holy shit, bats are scary. I got back up and he came for me. I whacked him once and hit him slightly. He came at me again...I whacked him harder but this time down the steps. Joe threw the shower curtain on him and whacked him repeatedly out the door confirming he flew away (as opposed to him dying on our deck and his limp body scaring the shit out of us and the kids in the morning).

We figure he had to have gotten in via the fireplace. It took a big bowl of chocolate Trader Joes ice cream to calm us down and a tense ending to the Hitler movie (Valkyrie, if you are wondering. And, yes, we liked it) to divert our attentions sufficiently.

Yes, this is a true story. I categorize this event under Crazy People (us), Funnies (b/c I was laughing at Joe lunging to and fro), I appreciate (b/c the kids slept through the whole thing and I didn't piss my pants), and Resolution (b/c I swear I will close that fireplace as soon as the frost clears each year).

By the way, the cat just secured her own future. She was on the way out with all the throwing up and crapping on the floor she's been doing lately. Now at least we'd have a slight warning that something is askew in the house, even if she doesn't do anything about it.

6 comments:

JFM said...

Awful but hilarious!

Concerned Shareholders of Parsons Village said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

Smart backup move re: the baggie ~ with your hair you would never have been able to extract the little beast!

XOXO

betsy said...

love the first line of your post..."watching a mellow movie about hitler"

would have paid money to see joe running around your house with a rake and a swiffer. craig and i still talk about that night when we were are your place in southie and there was a mouse in the kitchen. craig stomped on it on the deck...good times.

Jen M said...

Wow - you guys make a good team. Bats freak me out so much. We currently have a bat in the attic - he seems to come back every year. We called someone about a year ago to discuss professional bat proofing, but have not actually done anything about it yet...

Unknown said...

OK so a similar thing happened to my Mother-in-Law many decades ago. She got a hysterical fever and took to her bed for two weeks and lost her hair!! So perhaps in your case this would kill two birds/bats? The bat problem and the hair problem.

Most importantly, my Father-in-Law used a tennis racket and then drowned it in the toilet. I think it was the death squeeks that did my Mother-in-Law in!!
Love you, Auntie Michele