*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chocolate S'mores Pie

I spotted this recipe in a recent issue of Vegetarian Times and gave it a whirl for the 4th of July BBQ we went to. Let's just say that I was able to put the fire out quickly and easily...

1 7-oz bar 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
1 cup soy creamer (I used heavy cream)
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust
1 1/2 cups marshmellow creme

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Place chopped chocolate in heat-proof bowl. Bring cream to a simmer in medium saucepan. Pour over chocolate and let stand 30 seconds, then whisk until combined. Whisk in egg, vanilla, and pinch of salt.
  3. Pour chocolate mixture into crust. Cover crust edges with foil. Place on baking sheet, and bake 25 minutes, or until softly set around edges but still loose in center when shaken. Cool 1 hour on wire rack.
  4. Preheat broiler. Spread marshmallow creme on pie, and broil 30 seconds to 1 minute until top is golden-brown.

Sounds easy right? The whole thing was easy until I put the pie too close to the broiler and scorched it. I wish I had a picture. It was so charred that I couldn't break through it with a spoon.

2 comments:

GreenStyleMom said...

I just tore this recipe out of the magazine to try. So was it good despite the torched top? :)

PopMom said...

Couldn't eat it!! It was rock hard burned. If you have a torch, I would use that instead. Or, make sure it's not too close to the coils :)