*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pickles, Sour Cherry Cake, Cucumber Salad, & Roasted Figs

With Kelly too sick to veg out at the pool, I was able to be home in the kitchen yesterday and today for a bit as well. It was nice to spend some time cooking. Here's what I worked on yesterday..

1) Hungarian Sour Cherry Cake: This recipe from Saveur is wonderful. I was skeptical b/c it called for sour cherries, which really taste terrible on their own, and all whole wheat flour. I needed to do something with almost 2 lbs of sour cherries from the fruit share. Pitting them was a pain, but the cake has the perfect balance of the sour and sweet. I baked it for 45 minutes, but I would probably do about 5 minutes less next time.


2) Slightly Sweet Dill Refrigerator Pickles: I made these last year. I had 4 pickling cucumbers from the CSA bag. Ran out and grabbed a bunch of dill for this and the cuke salad below. I have some extra and I just love the smell they give off in the frig. I'll have to make tuna or chicken salad with the rest.


3) Cucumber-Dill Salad: I got 2 large cucumbers from the CSA this week and harvested 4 more huge ones from my garden. My cucumber plant is OUT OF CONTROL! This salad is nice, but needs more salt than it calls for. I used white vinegar.


4) Roasted Figs: Not sure what I'm going to do with these...I've always want to do something with fresh figs so I did the roasting part from the recipe from Food & Wine, but not the Red Wine Fig sauce. I will either chop them and wrap with prosciutto or I thought I saw an appetizer calling for french bread slightly toasted with melted sharp cheese topped with roasted fresh fig. Maybe I'll do both!!

No comments: