*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recent Movies

No TV to speak of lately, so we've been watching some movies over the last few weeks...Very happy for the new Winter TV Season to start back up!

At the Movies
  1. The Fighter: Awesome movie. Christian Bale is just amazing. We saw it in Lowell with Joe pointing out all the local sites and characters who got to play themselves or cameos in the film.

At Home

  1. Sherlock Holmes: I was so pleased with this movie. I don't know why b/c I've really enjoyed all of Guy Ritchie's movies. Maybe b/c Robert Downey Jr has been a bit overdone lately. Maybe b/c Jude Law seems like a bit of a tool and hasn't done much in the recent past. Who knows, but it was fantastic. The coloring of the film lends so well to the story. Joe loves Rachel McAdams so her parts helped!
  2. The Ghost Writer: I thought this was good, but not great. Ewan McGregor is a talented actor, for sure. I have enjoyed pretty much anything he's been in (and I'm not just saying that b/c he kicked ass as young Obi Wan Kenobi and we are slanted in favor of all things Star Wars in this house). I guess I just don't get the whole Roman Polanski thing. I mean the guy pumped up a young teenage girl with alcohol and drugs and raped her and ran away to escape consequences. And people are still in awe of him? Really? Who knows...maybe I'm being harsh, but people are still in awe of Woody Allen for having sex with his "daughter" and marrying her. I have to admit I'll still see a Mel Gibson directed movie but being a raging alcoholic,anti-semite is not quite the same things as having sex with minor girls I suppose. Anyway, the movie was okay. I don't like Pierce Brosnan so that probably didn't help things. Plus, Kim Cattrall as a proper English secretary just didn't fly.
  3. State of Play: Russell Crowe's haircut was distracting. But, again, Rachel McAdams just wows you - she's so perky and cute and is a pretty good actress to boot. It was predictable, but a solid thriller.

TV

We've managed to get almost through Season 5 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Still liking it a lot, but all the screaming and yelling does get a little old when you are watching episode after episode on DVD instead of waiting week to week, season to season. Not sure what TV show we'll watch on DVD next. I'd like to finally watch Battlestar Gallactica, but Joe is iffy on the whole Sci-Fi TV show gig. We both want to watch the Big Bang Theory (supposed to be the college version of Freaks and Geeks), but I'd like to do a drama before we do another 1/2 hour sitcom catchup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris & I watch The Big Bang Theory all the time & really love it!