*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, January 14, 2011

Wizard of Oz SNAFU

When I was a kid I remember The Wizard of Oz coming on TV once a year every April (am I remembering that right????) I would watch it and inevitably get flying monkey nightmares year after year. Ridiculous, really, b/c those flying monkeys were so hokey. Anyway, I hadn't shown it to the kids out of fear that it would be too scary for them. I saw it on the guide when I was taping Holiday movies in December and taped it, determining that they were ready to take on the Wicked Witch of the West and sing Wizard of Oz songs with me.

Drumroll....we had a snow day Wednesday (thank you 2 feet of snow!) and the kids were pumped to watch it - this is exciting in itself b/c they don't agree too much on TV/Movies these days. I hit play only to discover that I had inadvertantly taped a 1927 version of the movie in a TCM tribute to silent movies. SERIOUSLY. Who would have thought that there was a pre-Judy Garland version???? Thankfully, On Demand saved the day and the classic version we all love was available to watch.

Result...both kids liked it; I sang along at the top of my lungs; Kelly loved the lion (Lions Cryin', Mom); Shelagh will probably beg me for Ruby Slippers (Target, here I come); and Rory got a little scared - but only when they were at the witches castle. Plus, I have noticed that MANY awesome female characters have red hair! Dorothy, Lucy Pevensie from the Narnia stories (which my kids love), Pippi Longstocking, Ariel, Annie...hmm I feel like there are more and I can't think of them now. There are definitely more.

1 comment:

LauraHelen said...

Daphne from Scooby Doo, Wilma Flintstone, Jane Jetson, Jessica Rabbit, Lois Griffin, Charlie Brown's little redheaded girl crush, Raggedy Ann (and Andy), Strawberry Shortcake, Kim Possible, Princess Fiona from Shrek, Princess Anastasia...

Can you tell I'm a redhead as well?? =D