*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Horror that was the Brisket from Top Chef

This is too bad to let pass by...I attempted the slow-cooked Brisket Richard made from Top Chef last week and it is a MISERABLE FAILURE! In hindsight, I should have known that the brisket that I got from the store was much smaller than the mammoth hunk of beef he used on the show and adjusted the cooking time accordingly. Alas, I did not and at 10 hours, the shoe that was my brisket came out of the oven and the "off", sort of burnt, sort of mustardy smell wafted throughout my house. Dry, bland, overcooked, no sauce, but it did shred nicely. I do have to say that the recipe is written terribly...you'd think they'd work a little harder at that seeing that this is a competition for CHEFS! I digress. I have to try this again...next time, in the slow cooker instead of the oven, more salt and spice to start with, browned on the grill instead of in a pan, a little fattier, and MUCH less time (say 7 hours on low?). My poor family will have to have this again next week as now I am determined to get a juicy, melt-in-your-mouth brisket. I know I can just go to my moms recipe, but I want to get this one right somehow!



It's a good thing I have a sense of humor...look at what happened to my roasting pan from the brown sugar???

No comments: