*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Burger Haikus

Found this awesome entry at Serious Eats, a food blog I like to read, on a Burger Haiku Contest. My favorite, although any vegetarians out there won't appreciate this one I'm sure, was

You once were a cow
Now you are a burger
Tasty little cow

I wish I was this creative! Since we had burgers just last night and today is National Hamburger Day (according to Serious Eats although maybe not? See below #4), I thought this was appropriate. Other Hamburger related items on my mind today...

1) I can't stand when people say Hamburg instead of ground meat or Hamburger (ie "I'd like a Hamburg pizza"). Just bugs me.

2) Can you even eat just a hamburger? If there is no cheese, there is no point.

3) Found this little nugget online: "The hamburger originated from Hamburg, Germany. People from there call themselves Hamburgers and people from Frankfurt, Germany call themselves Frankfurters." Love it.

4) Apparantly, almost every day is a "National Day" in the USA. Weird. What is the point to this again? According to this seemingly authoritative website, May is supposedly National Hamburger Month, but National Hamburger Day is July 28th. Does that make sense???? May is also home to the following food "months":

National Barbecue Month
National Chocolate Custard Month
National Egg Month
National Salad Month
National Salsa Month
National Strawberry Month

I have only had Eggs and Salad this month. Not much of a celebration on my part.

No comments: