*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

CSA Last Weeks Bag

With the holiday last Friday I completely spaced on picking up my CSA bag. I went on Monday and here's what was included for last week:

  1. 1 head Romaine lettuce
  2. 1 head Red Leaf lettuce
  3. Beets
  4. Cilantro (YUCK! I gave it away at work already)
  5. Parsley (now I want Linguine and Clam Sauce!)
  6. Kale (with white beans as suggested by my friend L who shares the CSA with us)
  7. Peas (yay! We had fun shelling them and eating them raw, but they were delicious cooked as well).
  8. Zucchini

I've never cooked beets before so I asked some friends at work that cook and they gave me 2 ideas. I only got 4 beets, but I'll try both recipes.

Beet & Carrot Slaw: Boil beets like you would a potato - about 20+ minutes. Remove outer skin and either julienne into sticks or chop. Mix with shredded carrots (thank you Trader Joes for doing this work for me cheaply) and vinagrette (way to finish the extra Sherry vinagrette from the dinner party).

Roasted Beets: Peel beets first. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and wrap each one up in tin foil with a smashed garlic clove. Roast for an hour like you would a baked potato. Slice and serve.

Both sound interesting...Shelagh is intrigued by the idea of a pink vegetable and Rory is only 2 new foods away from getting Smashed up Mr-The-King.

The last CSA bag was mostly eaten, but it was inevitable that I wouldn't be able to finish 4 ginormous heads of lettuce. I ended up throwing out 1 of the 3 large ziploc bags of washed greens. It was a bummer, but what can you do. There is only so much salad you can eat.

L is away this weekend so I'm going again on Friday. I hope to get some blueberries and raspberries since their UPick for these are open now. They aren't 100% ready yet as of Monday, but maybe by Friday they will be good enough.

No comments: