*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, July 9, 2009

CSA Progress: Beets

Per some ideas from friends at work, I took the 4 beets I got in last weeks CSA bag and did 2 things with them: 1) Beet & Carrot Slaw and 2) Roasted Beets.

Beet & Carrot Slaw: This came out really nice. I boiled 2 beets for about 30 minutes (a bit too long) and then combined them with a handful of shredded carrots, some sherry vinagrette, and salt. It was really good. The only thing I would change would be to blanch or lightly cook the carrots so they were more like the consistency of the beets. Otherwise, good stuff. I ate it all for a snack this morning.
Roasted Beets: I peeled and wrapped each beet in tin foil with olive oil, salt, and a shallot. For some odd reason I ran out of garlic, which is just ridiculous and frustrating. These were just okay. They weren't bad, but I think garlic and more salt would have improved them.

No comments: