*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Paradox of Motherhood

I read the following in a book that my sister-in-law gave me before Shelagh was born. It's a collection of essays about natural motherhood and attachment parenting called Loving Mama. While I do believe in breastfeeding and I do love to wear my babies around, I wouldn't call myself a full proponent of natural motherhood (drug-free/natural childbirth - yeah right!, birthing at home - ew!, co-sleeping/family bed, constant baby wearing, nursing on demand and as long as the child wants, etc). I don't know why I didn't read it before, but for some reason while I was nursing Kelly, it just stared at me from the bookshelf and I started reading it. It has not made me a convert, but it's just so interesting to read another perspective and to see how passionate so many women feel about the arrival of and parenting of babies.

This quote stuck out for me...It is originally from The Tao of Motherhood by Vimala McClure (which I did not and probably won't read).

A mother's nature is paradox.

Your strength is in gentleness.

Your authority is in receptivity.

Your power is in letting go.

Powerful stuff...I believe motherhood, for me, is an evolving force. The things that come naturally for me and those things that I have to work hard to achieve are constantly shifting. A sentiment like the one I noted above is a strong statement and one of the things I strive to embrace. I've been thinking about it since I read it a few days ago.

No comments: