*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, August 10, 2009

Shelagh's Kindergarten & the Last Month of Summer

The other day I received an invitation to Shelaghs Kindergarten Play Date and some other papers about the start of school for my oldest baby. Yes, now that she is on the precipice of school, she has reverted back to baby classification as far as I'm concerned. I cannot believe she is entering Kindergarten. Holy cow. I'm a combination of so thrilled and excited for her (she loves being busy and having lots of activities and learning) and so overwhelmed that 1) she is actually going to real school now, 2) I have 3 pickups on my work days now (ugh), and 3) I will have 2 days per week with just Rory and Kelly, notably my more mellow and laid back and STILL NAPPING children. Wow.

Her last day of preschool is tomorrow (cupcakes are cooling now and will be decorated with chocolate frosting and pink and purple super-fake nasty tube frosting - but hey, she likes pink and purple and I wasn't so inclined to start food coloring white frosting after the Rory's 1st Birthday Fire Truck "cake" incident).

She is doing 1 week of day camp next week which is 5 days 8-4. She only went to preschool 3 days so I figured this would be an interesting snapshot into how she will handle getting up and out all 5 week days (not looking forward to that part with this particular child!). Even freaking out about a week of camp right now!!!

Then, 2 weeks with no day care plan. Yup, no official plan yet. Maybe a day at my MILs, a day at Kellys home care. It doesn't help that she has the "Meet the Teacher/See your Class" day for an hour and a half on 1 morning; her K screening for 45 minutes on another morning; and her 1st day of Full Day K for 2 hours another morning. God forbid these things get scheduled on the same day or at least over 2 days in the last week. It's not like my town is made up of tons of SAHMoms - all 5 schools have "full day" K in my town. I will try to take a day off to spend just her and I if I can manage to escape from work (my contribution to my work projects is embarassingly small and if I had any other job I'd probably be fired by now). It doesn't help that Kellys home care was on vaca for 2 weeks and then she just got Hand-Food-Mouth this weekend before heading back. Yes, that's 3 WEEKS of "working at home" or barely working as it's become lately.

Anyway, the next few weeks are so crazy I literally have to take it one day at a time. I have babysitting booked, playdates scheduled, the block party coming up, a Red Sox/Yankees game we are having overnight guests up for, 4 Dr appts across the family, a day of dance camp, and the end of my sanity.

Wish me luck!

No comments: