*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pathetic Cupcakes

Baking and I are frenemies. Sometimes we get along famously and I produce something chocolately or fruity and it is delicious and easy and dough-less. Other times, like last week, despite using a BOXED cake mix - YES IT WAS A BOX MIX THAT I SCREWED UP - it is a beautiful disaster.

Thank you Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix for causing me embarassment amongst the preschool set. I usually use the Classic Yellow cake mix and must have accidentally picked up the butter recipe. I didn't realize until I read the directions and it called for a stick of butter. I had a "Hmmmmmm" moment and then realized my error. Regardless I proceeded as it was for Shelaghs last day of preschool and there was no replacing them.

Firstly, I overfilled some of the cups and underfilled others. When they came out, some of them overflowed (causing Shelagh and I to pick at them so they all looked "even") and some of them looked wimpy. Secondly, one container of frosting suddenly wasn't enough to cover the sunken cakes and fill them sufficiently. Wimpy frosting sucks. Thirdly, I overcooked them b/c the batter was a totally different consistency with all that butter. What a moron I am!!!

See below for the visual and feel free to laugh away, my friends. How is it that I can pull off a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner for 20 by myself, but these freakin' box mix cupcakes were a total failure???? What the F?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's still not as funny as the fire engine cake. I can't make cupcakes either...even when I follow the recipe. They always fall and become concave somehow. -LMP