*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, May 3, 2010

Water Emergency - Continued

It hasn't been that bad so far. We grabbed pizza on way home (ie no dishes). I hadn't run the dishwasher before we left (annoying...I usually don't like to leave dirty dishes/garbage when we're away), so I'm just leaving those dishes in there. I boiled 2 large pots of water for dishes and managed to clean the few we made getting lunches ready and all that. We positioned water jugs strategically around the kitchen and bathrooms. Managed to brush everyones teeth properly with the bottled water except my own. So, if I suddenly drop off to go hide in the bathroom at work b/c of e-Coli induced gastric issues then we'll know it was my neglect of proper water emergency teeth brushing technique. We made bottled water coffee this morning, which I should have brought to work b/c we can't use the coffee makers here since they are tapped right into the water lines. Argh. Bottled water microwaved tea, it is. I did bathe all the kids (it was 85 degrees and they were all sweaty and dirty) and hopefully Kelly didn't actually ingest the water I dumped over her head.

I don't have a sanitize cycle on my dishwasher so I guess those dishes are just going to sit unless I suddenly become inclined to wash them with boiled water. Not likely. I have a TON of laundry to do but I just don't know whether to do it or wait. I usually wash clothes with cold water so I'm hesitant to do it. I don't know if it's worth Shelaghs wrath if she decides she wants to match her underwear to her outfit and the only pair that matches is in the dirty laundry pile.

It's amazing to me that people are freaking out, waiting in huge lines at the local stores, and fighting about buying water. Seriously. The boil water notice is only for a 20+ mile radius around Boston. Take a drive and buy some water in a non-ban town. This isn't rocket science. The other thing that is really annoying me is the city and town recommendation to use paper products. Really? We want to encourage everyone to operate with disposable stuff and generate crazy amounts of extra trash and waste? Bad precedent.

They fixed the leak and are anticipating 1-2 more days before all the testing is done and acceptable. I can do this.

No comments: