*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese

I thought I'd be a hero for making homemade Mac & Cheese the other night. No such luck. There was a complete revolt.

I used a recipe from Everyday Food from Emeril I thought it was pretty good. It used a can of evaporated milk, which skeeved me out a bit at first but it really thickens up and makes the cheese super-creamy. The only issue was that I wasn't sure it was hot enough and I left it in the oven for too long causing the eggs that are mixed in to begin to slightly scramble. It didn't taste different, but it changed the texture in parts along the edges. I also skipped the cayenne and nutmeg, doubled the bacon (of course), and added some salt. I probably won't do this one again, but I am going to figure out a homemade version with milk and cheese of some sorts. I love Annies, but I like the baked top of the homemade kind and the thicker cheese. No breadcrumbs. That's just weird.

No comments: