*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

U Mich & some Apps

We had some friends from our days in Ann Arbor over on Saturday to watch the U Michigan football game. Other than the initial panic when we realized that Michigan is kind of sucking and was on the Big Ten Network which we didn't even know if we had (only realizing this as our friends arrived, of course). We did have it and in HD thankfully.

I made a few things, all new. One of our friends doesn't eat red meat so I found a turkey chili recipe from Whole Foods, added on an 8-layer dip and Barbara Lynch's baked cheese with roasted tomatoes, finishing with Mexican Hot-chocolate cookies. All came out great. See notes below...

Touchdown Turkey Chili - I like chili sometimes, but I'm not a chili person. I'd like to be. What a perfect one-pot meal for a group! This recipe called for a 28oz can of tomatoes which, as soon as I added them, made me almost make another back-up meal. It was like a pile of tomato juice with scattered turkey here and there. I made it in the AM and kept it warm in the crock pot for a couple of hours and it totally mellowed and the liquid cooked off a bit. With some shredded cheddar on top, sour cream, and crostini on the side it was delish. I think it's the use of beer in the recipe.

8-Layer Dip - From Everyday Food I had clipped this recipe but I'd not made it before. I skipped the green chiles, would skip the lettuce in the future, and made my own refried beans. I sauteed chopped onion and garlic, added a can of drained pinto beans, cooked them for a bit, mashed them in the pan, and thinned them with with chicken broth.

Baked Cheese w/ Roasted Tomatoes - I had this at Stir, Barbara Lynches demo kitchen where I took a class. So simple, so heavenly. Came out great using cheddar, monterey jack, and camembert. This link uses goat cheese, but I hate goat cheese. The chef said that she created this dish based on a selection of leftover cheese after a dinner party and to use whatever mix of cheese you want, which I did. I didn't make the crisps as I don't like olives. I did use pita chips and crostini on the side.

Mexican Hot-Chocolate Cookies - These came out great. Soft, big, chewy, dough was yummy too. Will make again, but will add cinnamon into the dough as well.

1 comment:

GreenStyleMom said...

What a coincidence! We were going to make those Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies this afternoon (it is in Martha's Great Food Fast cookbook - one of my favs), but opted for another recipe instead. With your recommendation, we'll probably try them later this week.