*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Beer-Baked White Beans

I made these Beer-Baked White Beans today from this month's Everyday Food.  They are really wonderful and will be my lunch for the week probably, as they are made with bacon and Joe gave up bacon for Lent.   The recipe isn't posted online yet.

I made a few slight changes.  I used Great Northern beans, not cannellini, and let them soak for 2 nights rather than 1.  This was not on purpose.  As usual, I soaked the beans and then didn't make time to make the dish that next day.  I used dried rosemary instead of fresh.  I used 1 bottle of Harpoon UFO and 1 bottle of Ipswitch Winter Ale for the beer since that's what I had.  Finally, I omitted the cider vinegar at the end as I'm not crazy about the twang that it sometimes gives a dish.  I had a grilled portobello sandwich yesterday and they put vinegar on it and it almost ruined it for me.  Anyway, this bean dish is just fantastic.

Update: There are digestive ramifications to this meal.  Be forewarned.

1 comment:

Phoebe Johnson said...

That looks so good I am going to try it. Although reading your update I may wait until it is warmer so I can keep the windows open!