*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, May 16, 2011

Bacon-Simmered Beans & Pickled Onions

It was less than 2 months ago that I made Beer Braised Beans, but I've been interested in using dried beans more.  When a recipe appeared in Bon Appettit this month or last month for Bacon-Simmered Pinto Beans and Pickled Onions I decided to make this one too and compare.  The previous recipe was definitely better, but these are pretty good too.  The pickled onions are a fantastic topper to the beans and would work with either recipe.  Note to self...no need to make the whole pound of beans unless you want to eat them for lunch every day for 2 weeks.  For this more recent recipe I used feta instead of Cotija cheese, great northern beans instead of pintos, no jalapenos, and added lots of salt as they were cooking and at the end.  I need more uses for the pickled onions - that was my favorite part.

No comments: