*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Movies: Girl with a Dragon Tattoo & DVD Rentals

I haven't written about movies in awhile, but we've seen some good ones lately...
  1. Girl with a Dragon Tattoo - Joe and I both read the 3 books and we saw the 1st Swedish movie.  I think this one was a snazzier, more glossy, intense look at the story.  I loved the intro, the music, Rooney Mara's Lizbeth Salander, Daniel Craig and the general visual depiction.  I did not think the direction/editing was smooth.  If you hadn't read the book or seen the other version, it was choppy and I don't know if I would have followed the details of the story.  The Swedish version was less flashy but easier to follow and Noomi Rapace was great.  I'll see the others when they come out.
  2. X-Men: First Class - Michael Fassbender and James MacAvoy were great in this prequel.  None of the supporting mutants really jazzed me much, but I loved the origin story of these guys and will watch any future installments.
  3. Super8 - Joe and I both really enjoyed this movie.  It didn't do that well in the theater, I don't think. Other than the close up of the alien at the end (which was kind of hokey), I thought the kids were awesome, I love me some Coach Taylor and will see him in anything, and it was great J.J.Abrams.
  4. Win-Win - Paul Giamatti is seriously a guarantee (except for that Adams mini series on HBO which was way boring). 
  5. Due Date - Joe had heard this was good and we had nothing to watch.  This was not good.
  6. Captain America - Slow start, but I like this as far as super hero movies go.  I think I liked this and Thor equally.  Looking forward to Avengers, I think...it could go either way.
  7. Pearl Jam Twenty - Just watched this last night and it was really awesome.  We've recently seen the Foo Fighters documentary Back and Forth.  The differences were really interesting.  Foo Fighters was a more chronological study of the bands ascent.  You got exposure into the band members personal lives, as far as it related to the band.  You got some really honest analysis about what they went through.  Really great music, obviously.  In PJ20 it was clearly more "movie" than documentary, thank you Cameron Crowe.  I didn't get the feeling about how the band members really felt about each other or their personal places in the band.  Awesome music making me want to listen to PJ again.  Eddie Vedder is more weird than I thought.  Both were totally worth seeing more than once.

No comments: