*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Winter Veggies

I tried 2 new veggie recipes to try to plow through my leftover CSA December share vegetables.  Both were delicious!
From Everyday Food, this month I think, I started with Roasted Beets with Orange and Thyme. Very simple...I didn't have fresh thyme so I used dried.  Beets are definitely one of my favorite vegetables I've only tried recently.  Looking forward to more beet experimentation.


Glazing Vegetables - This was on the Saveur Magazine's "100 Favorite Things" this month.  It was a loose instruction which included the following steps:
  1. Cut veggies uniformly and make a single layer in a saucepan
  2. Add a few tablespoons of butter, some salt/pepper and a pinch of sugar.  Almost cover with water.
  3. Lay a piece of parchment paper on top and simmer until the water cooks off, shaking pan now and then.  (Realizing right now that I also covered it with a lid...hmmm...wonder if this changed things). 
I combined carrots, parsnips, and turnips and these came out so rich and soft and delicious.  Butter is the elixir of life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: