*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bought my Jam Supplies

Rory and I went to the local hardware store and bought the Jam making supplies. I got
  1. a case of half-pint jars
  2. jar tongs to lift the hot jars out of the water bath
  3. a wide-mouth funnel
  4. pectin (they didn't have the low-sugar kind so i might try the grocery store for some)

They didn't have that magnet tool that helps grab the lids out of the the hot water. I also didn't get a canner. I'm going to try to do this with a pot of water instead. There seem to be plenty of instructions out there on that method. I'll manage I'm sure.

I don't think I have enough strawberries for a full batch (5 1/2 cups mashed), so I will probably need to pick up some more just in case. Poor Joe wanted a smoothie this morning and I had to swat him away from my limited picked strawberries.

Both kids want to help. I'm thinking we'll work on it this on Saturday - it's supposed to rain and we have nothing planned other than my MUCH needed haircut appointment. My hair is ridiculously long and huge right now. I'm only 5 ft tall and am starting to look like Rumplestiltskin (Betsy, you can appreciate the visual, I'm sure). I'll take pictures of the jam adventure. Wish us luck!

No comments: