*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How Do I Fit Everything In?

I've been asked how I fit everything in between work, family, cooking, the ridiculous amount of TV and movies I watch, etc. So, here's how I do it...
  1. I'm Type A. Basically, the busier I am, the more I accomplish. (Although I still complain about being too busy).
  2. I only work 3 days per week and not even a full 8 hour day really. My philosophy for the other 2 days, while my husband works, is to accomplish as much errand running as I can so that weekends are as completely free as they can be. Obviously, I also balance that with the kids time. If we food shop in the afternoon, I make sure we have a play date, an outing, library trip, or a playground/pool trip in the morning. If I need a whole day to get stuff done, then the other day is just for them.
  3. I food shop once per week and no more. I have Wednesdays and Fridays off, so I try to hit the store on Friday afternoons after nap time. This time of day on a Friday is not a good time for play dates and travelling too far and my kids are really good in the grocery store, for the most part. It's one of my favorite things to do and they seem to be kind of into it also (I know, it's the free cheese and the fresh muffin I give them in the store that probably is the real reason). Seriously though, we talk about all the fruits and vegetables; we play the color game and the number/letter game; Shelagh helps me load up the cart and unpack at checkout; and, finally, they fight over who can push the red and green buttons on the card slider at checkout while I pray to not get double charged and get angst over the crappy bag packing the grocery bagger is usually doing.
  4. While I do cook most nights and try new recipes during the week, I tend to pick shorter recipes and those that have the fewest ingredients for work nights (thank you, Everyday Food and standbys). I also tend to make more servings and try to get 2 meals out of 1. On Wednesdays and weekends, I am usually more adventurous and take on longer cook times, especially in the winter.
  5. My kids nap still after lunch. Rory can go for 3+ hours and Shelagh from 1 to 2+ hours and they still go to bed by 8pm. I usually cook, clean, email, do paperwork (bills, etc), and make calls during this time. I don't know what I'll do when Shelagh stops napping.
  6. I never watch Live TV and I rarely watch before 830pm. I live only through my prized DVR. I miss my TiVO terribly, but the Comcast DVR does the trick and I can't tell you the last time I watched a commercial. We tend to eat in front of the TV (although never with the kids) at night and we'll watch for 1-2+ hours depending on what we have to watch. If there is nothing on TV, we always have Netflix movies/TV shows. Yes, occasionally we skip the TV altogether, but not often unfortunately. We like most of the same shows and it's relaxing for both of us to unwind this way after each day. Joe and I keep meaning to implement a no-TV Tuesday or something like that.
  7. I read magazines at the gym and sometimes during breakfast, books at night in bed for a short time, and as much as I want to be the kind of person that at least reads the Sunday newspaper, I just don't and I'm ok with that.
  8. I did have a cleaning lady for the past 5 years which was really nice. I have since taken over all cleaning duties and that takes up 2 naptimes (usually Friday and Saturday) or in-between times. I try to do as much at once as possible and finish within 2 days if I can. I love that feeling of having the whole house clean at once rather than cleaning constantly one room at a time.
  9. I do laundry on Wednesdays or weekends. I don't fold until it's all done and then do so while watching TV. The real challenge is putting away the clean clothes before I need the basket again for the next round of laundry.
  10. If I really need to do some stuff without the kids (appointments for me, post office, returning stuff at stores), I try to do it on work days before or during the work day. I also usually blog at work vs home.
  11. My gym has really inexpensive babysitting and the kids are happy to go. I try to go on Wednesday and Friday mornings before a play date or trip to the park or pool. On Fridays, there is a fruit/veg stand outside our YMCA that is fun with the kids too. But, alas, if I must skip it I do pretty guiltlessly (is that even a word?).

That's the long and short of it. I also have tried to give myself a break if I can't get to something which is new for me. I strive to break some of my Type A ways and live in the moment when I can.

1 comment:

GreenStyleMom said...

Funny you post this because I was just thinking that I need to ask in a post about how in the world everyone else gets things done! I think that maybe I take on too much to start...