*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, June 2, 2008

Movie: Dan in Real Life

I loved this movie! As with most movies that get a mediocre or higher review, it made it's way onto my Netflix list when it came out in the movies and I forgot about it until it popped up recently. I wasn't dying to see it, but there isn't much exciting on there right now and it had to be a little funny, right? What a pleasant surprise. I have to say that while I do watch The Office religiously, I do not care too much for Steve Carrell. I think it's the ridiculously dumb characters, such as the one he played in Anchorman, that I can't stand (I otherwise loved that movie, but he ALMOST ruined it for me). I don't love his Michael on The Office, but I love the whole ensemble cast so I still tune in every week. Little Miss Sunshine was the 1st exception for me relating to him. He played "dark" and deadpan so well in that movie...I just loved him in that and that was the only work of his I could speak of well. Didn't love 40-Year Old Virgin. Am holding out hope for Get Smart.

Dan in Real Life was a wonderful movie. Despite the fact that Dane Cook was in it (we turned off Good Luck Chuck after about 10 minutes), it was funny, it was heartbreaking, it was warm, it was just really well done. Both Joe and I enjoyed it much more than we thought. The cast was good all around. I wasn't sold on Steve Carrell playing against Juliette Binoche (weird, right?), but it worked. The music was out of this world! We watched a little feature about the music and how the composer was selected and how he created the original score for the film and I think I'm going to download it. His music sounded similar to Glen what's-his-name from the movie Once that I wrote about recently. It was so moving and I kept finding myself thinking about the music as the movie was running, which I don't often do.

Anyway, 2 people I've recommended it to at work both thought it was just okay. I completely disagree. Joe thought it was like The Family Stone a bit. I didn't think it was the best movie, but it was fine. The stories were similar (new girlfriend meeting the big, close family for the first time) and, ironically, that movie was on TV last night by chance and we watched a few minutes before going to bed. Dan in Real Life was ten times better in my opinion. Even with a lukewarm reaction by my co-workers, I stand by my recommendation.

UPDATE: Soundtrack is AWESOME! Both Joe and I have been walking around singing one of the songs. Love it.

No comments: