*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, June 2, 2008

Random Black Bean & Corn Salad

While reading Serious Eats last week, I skimmed through the comments of a question posted looking for interesting sides to bring to/have at a BBQ. They weren't recipes, but just ideas posted by various readers. We had grilled portobella mushroom sandwiches last night and I thought it was a good time to try out a Black Bean and Corn salad. It came out great! Here's what I did:

Salad Base
1 15oz can Goya Black Beans, rinsed
1 cup frozen Corn, thawed
1/3 red onion, diced very small
1/2 red pepper, diced very small
1 plum tomato, diced very small
salt

Dressing
I used an old Martha Stewart Everyday Food Favorite Vinagrette recipe and tweaked it a bit:
1/8 cup white vinegar & red wine vinegar (i combined both to make up 1/8 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch sugar
3/8 cup safflower oil

I skipped the mustard although I usually use it for a regular salad vinagrette. I also cut the vinegar and oil in half, but didn't cut the other ingredients in half. I don't know why, but that's what I did. I didn't use it all either...I just drizzled and combined everything until it tasted good. I probably used 1/2 of what I made, but I'll use the rest for salad this week. It was enough for 4-6 as a side probably. I'll take a picture and post update the post later.

It came out great! It was really refreshing, easy to make, would be a good side to have at a BBQ or to bring to a BBQ for sure. I thought Shelagh would like it b/c she loves tomatoes, black beans, and corn, but I think the red peppers and red onion freaked her out. It would be a good light lunch to bring to work also I think.

Update: My lunch for tomorrow...

No comments: