*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Quinoa

I made a version of the lemony quinoa from the Boston Globe Magazine recipe I clipped. I really liked it! Basically, I did the following:

1) Warmed up 2 Tbl Olive Oil & 1 Tbl butter in a large nonstick pan
2) Add in a medium chopped onion and saute until soft and starting to color - about 5 minutes
3) Add in 1 1/2 cups Quinoa and stir until toasty smelling - about 5 minutes
4) Add in 2 3/4 cups water and bring to boil
5) Lower heat and cover for 12 minutes, stirring now and then
6) Turn off heat, add in 1/2 lemons worth of juice and enough salt to flavor it well, cover and let it sit for another 12 minutes

It wasn't too lemony or salty. I would probably use more onion or maybe onion and garlic or just garlic. I love the texture. It was a nice change from rice, pasta, potatoes, and couscous. Kids didn't go for it, but whatever.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I keep meaning to get some quinoa! It is so healthy! Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!