*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, June 23, 2008

Strawberry Picking

We took the kids to a farm North of us to go Strawberry picking yesterday. This is one of my favorite things to do and I've been counting down days until the Strawberry festival. It was too hot to go on Saturday morning, so we hit the pool instead (good choice). We went Sunday morning after breakfast and a quick trip to Boston to see Joes new office. It was pretty muggy and hot and the strawberries were pretty picked over, but we had a good time. Both kids picked their own berries and were excited when they found all red ones (after several rejects of white and barely pink ones). Of course towards the end, we found more red ones, but I'm hoping to make jam and I'll just mix some blueberries or raspberries in if the ones we have aren't sweet enough. We hit the playground there, listened to some musicians playing at the farm, and visited the petting zoo. Rory was mesmerized by the peacocks and Shelagh sang Baa Baa Black Sheep to the disgusting looking, matted down, white sheep. We had ice cream for lunch and wrapped up a nice day with a long nap for me, Rory, and Joe while Shelagh played and read quietly in her room.

This will be my first time making jam, but I'm inspired by the article in Bon Appetit by Molly from the Orangette blog. The online version doesn't have the instructions for making it, but I clipped it out and if it ends up being easy, I'll post them. I'll take pictures too.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Good luck with the jam! Can't wait to read how it turns out! Strawberry picking sounds so fun!