*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apple Cake

Shelagh and I baked an apple cake today. I'm not a big fruit cake person, but how much applesauce can I possibly make and eat? I have a full bag of apples left from apple picking and needed something to bake. I got the Moms Apple Cake recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I didn't have a tube pan so instead I used a too-small cake pan. In retrospect, I should have used a glass baking dish instead and cooked it for less time, but I just let it puff up and spill over the side. At 1 1/2 hours the cake was still batter-y in the middle, but we were on our way out to the playground, so I turned off the oven and left it in there. I figured I'd just cut out the middle if it was still not fully cooked since the tube was supposed to be there anyway. The edges taste delicious, so I have high hopes for the full cake. We'll taste it tonight and then send it in to Shelaghs class at school tomorrow. Here's what it looked like...Not as pretty as Smitten Kitchen, but tasty nonetheless!
Now I have to make 1-2 apple crisps to freeze for the winter if I can continue to clear up my freezer, which I cleaned in preparation for my parents visit a couple of weeks ago. I can finally see in there!

No comments: