*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Top 5 Standby Meals

If I haven't meal planned, I just grab meat and some veggies while shopping for some of these standby dinners...all are fast and great for during the week. For the meat dishes, I would put couscous or rice or pasta on the side and whatever veggie I have on hand. Here they are in no particular order:

  • Breaded Chicken Cutlets: These are great to do b/c both kids eat them anytime. They are also good in a sandwich as leftovers.
  • Broiled Pork Chops w/ Adobo: Also quick and easy. My mom introduced me to Adobo, a spice by Goya, and I use it on everything and anything...pork chops and veggies most often.
  • Pasta with Cannellini Beans: Also from my mom, who is a chef by the way and a great source for recipes. Saute some garlic in a little olive oil with some oregano. Add a can of Goya Cannellini beans with the liquid and let them cook down for about 5-10 minutes. Toss with pasta and add cheese. One of my favorite winter pasta meals.
  • Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper sauce: I would roast 2-3 red peppers at some point during the week and puree them. Saute some garlic in olive oil, add in the red pepper puree and some salt. After a minute or two, add a splash of cream and stir. Toss with pasta and add cheese.
  • Broiled or Grilled Flank Steak: While this marinade sounds sketchy, it is really great. For each lb of beef, use 1/4 cup ketchup to 1/8 cup soy sauce. I usually let the meat marinate in this for the whole day or even overnight and then broil to rare/medium rare.

No comments: