*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Disastrous Baking Attempt

The Peppermint Bark over at Orangette looked so good and like a fun project for Shelagh and I to work on. I made the mistake of buying the cheaper white chocolate so I could make a double batch, as the grocery only had the good stuff in small packages at a high price. Here is the result of me trying to melt crappy white chocolate that didn't even have cocoa butter in it...A block of sludge (still tasted good, by the way). So much for Ghirardelli white chips at 2 for $5!

So, instead of throwing away the already mixed dark chocolate/cream/peppermint extract concoction I had prepped prematurely (Shelagh loves pouring the ingredients so we did it all at once at the beginning), I decided I'd just make the middle layer.

Not terrible, but just not great. Also, I think the imitation peppermint extract tastes funny, but that's what I had. I'm guessing there is a pure version that is better with less of a cough medicine aftertaste. Baking is just not my forte...

No comments: