*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Post-Christmas Food Catchup

Christmas week was really nice. We spent Xmas Eve in Southern NH at Joes brothers house with most of his family. The kids had a fantastic time with their cousins. Christmas Day we like to spend at home since the kids are still young and like to just hang out and play with their toys. I make dinner and my mother in law usually joins us in the afternoon. Joes brother and his girlfriend also joined us this year for a low-key meal of Spiral Ham, Roasted Potatoes, Rice, Creamed Spinach, and Chocolate Mousse.

It was my first time making Chocolate Mousse and the recipe I used from Everyday Food came out great and was fast and easy. After my disaster chocolate pudding, I was nervous about the consistency of the mousse not being right, but it was perfect!

I chose Spiral Ham so that I could not have to do too much...it's getting tough to be on my feel for periods of time. I kept the ham bone and searched online until I found a ham/bean soup that seemed good. I used this recipe for Good Ham Bean Soup...don't let the silly recipe title deter you. It was good. I used dried beans for the first time. Even though I soaked them in water for >24 hours, I had to cook the soup for 2 hours instead of 1 to get them soft enough. I think I like canned, rinsed beans better. Shelagh loved it once I added some corn for her. Rory insisted on having separate ham b/c he didn't want his ham to be "soupy". Seriously.

No comments: