*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, December 15, 2008

Last 10 Netflix Movies

I've been seriously anti-pop culture lately so I figure I should try to catch up. Here are my last 10 Netflix movies and thoughts:
  1. The Other Boleyn Girl - It was ok. I just couldn't get past the backwards casting of Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. Scarlett did okay as Mary Boleyn, but Natalie just did not portray conniving/manipulating/voluptuous/seductive quite like I think Scarlett would have. Also, Eric Bana was just an okay King Henry. I watch The Tudors on Showtime and the casting on that show, while I seriously doubted it at the beginning, really grew on me and Jonathon Rhys Meyers really plays a kick-ass crazy/temperamental/arrogant King Henry. Eric Bana sucked in Troy too...he just doesn't do it for me. Actually, he was good in Munich, but that's it.
  2. Snow Angels - This was good, but tough to watch as there is a little girl tragic accident involved that is just so heart-wrenching. Kate Beckinsale was good and I liked Sam Rockwell. I want to like him so badly, but the movies he's in never quite get there.
  3. Tropic Thunder - I thought this was just so-so. I did agree that Tom Cruises cameo was very funny (although worthy of a Golden Globe nomination? I don't know about that). RDJr was good and I seriously forgot it was him several times. But, Ben Stiller can just be so annoying sometimes (reminiscent of his awkward character, Michael, in Reality Bites)
  4. Firefly - last Disc of only Season. I liked this TV series. It was one of those 1 season TV shows on some random cable channel that got great reviews but got cancelled anyway. They ended up making a follow up movie called Serenity that I'll definitely watch now (see To Do List for Maternity Leave post coming up). It was sort of a cowboy Sci-Fi show if you can imagine that. Great characters. Nathan Fillion has this ugly-hot thing going for him a la Joaquin Phoenix (I don't think he has quite the same hair lip but it's similar) that is appealing.
  5. Reservation Road - Also a disturbing child accident movie, but I just love Mark Ruffalo and Joaquin Phoenix. Jennifer Connelly also was so wonderful in this movie. Very emotional, but totally worth a watch.
  6. 21 - This was that MIT students tricking Las Vegas movie. I liked it. Joe read the book so we had an idea about it before we watched. I thought it was pretty entertaining overall.
  7. Leatherheads - Blah, blah. Not terrible, but not anything special. Reinforces my annoyance with Renee Zellweger. Usually I almost avoid anything she is in, but I wanted to see Jim Krasinski on the big screen and see if he has any potential outside of the office (jury is still out on that one).
  8. Indiana Jones/ Crystal Skull - Wasn't into it. I think Joe liked it more than me.
  9. Iron Man - This was a solid, superhero movie. I thought it was really action-packed, RDJr was great, as I had heard. The effects were cool, story was okay and overall I was in the whole time.
  10. Nims Island - A friend recommended this for the kids and while I would have thought it was a bit much for them (and parts were), they talked about it for days afterwards.

Not too much good coming up either...As usual, I haven't seen anything nominated for a Golden Globe and will have to rush through all of those soon. Here's what we have at home now.

  1. Strangers with Candy (Amy Sedaris)
  2. Incredible Hulk - Joe watched this on the train down to NJ last weekend so I'll have to squeeze it in when he's not around.
  3. Kung Fu Panda - We saw this in the theater with the kids, but I'll watch it with them again for Family Movie night this weekend. They loved it and it was Rorys first movie in the theater.

1 comment:

80sMom said...

kung fu panda was really underrated - my whole family really enjoyed that one! Nice blog, glad I found it!