*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, December 15, 2008

Pillars of the Earth

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and it was, as promised by my Uncle, an excellent book. Coming in at almost 1000 pages and with that annoying Oprah Book Club stamp on the front, I was hooked within the first 10 pages. I LOVE historical fiction and long saga stories. This was one of them and I'm so thrilled I heard there was a follow up book (although I think it takes place a few hundred years later). I am usually opposed to the "Author Rush" as once you zip through all an authors books excitedly, you have nothing left and are bummed (I have broken my own rule recently with the Twilight series though since I read all 4 in a row this summer). I haven't read Ken Folletts other books. He's known for thrillers which are fine but make me think of those quick airport reads that are good enough for what they are but just not meaty (ie John Grisham, etc). For me to dedicate my time and tiredness, I almost need a guarantee that a book will hook me in and keep me going.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone that loves a nice long story that seems to have no end in sight...

No comments: