*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Meal Planning - Holiday Week

Had to plan this week with Hanukkah and Christmas meals...

Saturday - Linguine w/ Pesto - Joe was out so quick pasta dinner for me and Shelagh.

Sunday - 1st Night of Hanukkah - Latkes (not sure which recipe yet) & Gail Simmons Horseradish Brisket - Did a search on Food & Wine and found this brisket recipe. I just screwed one up a few weeks ago, so I wanted to try a new one. Note: I do not like ANYTHING spicy and always avoid Horseradish. However, I decided to give this a whirl anyway and just reduced the amount of it (Love her on Top Chef, but haven't had any luck on previous Top Chef recipes...probably b/c they are crappy as they are posted on Bravo). Here are some pics of the process today...

Starting with veggies...

After the Brisket is browned, smeared with Horseradish/garlic/olive oil paste...

After some of the Horseradish paste is wiped off by me and has been cooked for about 2 hours.

Final product cooling...Will go in the frig until dinner tomorrow night. I did taste a little forkful b/c I used a brisket 1/2 the size of the recipe (which is how I hosed the last one). I cut all the times in half and the taste seemed pretty good and not spicy. I'll update tomorrow night.

Monday - leftovers

Tuesday - Pork Tenderloin, Brussel Sprouts sauteed w/ Onions, Pasta; Kids: M & C

Wednesday - Xmas Eve - At Sister in Laws

Thursday -
Xmas Breakfast - French Toast & Bacon - I do French Toast like my mom did when I was a kid. Big loaf of Italian Bread, sliced thick. I soak it overnight in a random concoction of eggs, cinnamon, sugar/vanilla sugar and milk. I saute it in the morning until cooked through.
Xmas Dinner - Brown-Sugar Spiral Ham, Sauteed sliced Potatoes & Onions, Creamed Spinach. The sauteed thin-sliced potatoes and onions from the Tortilla Espanola last week inspired me to make them for a side dish (circle french fries to get the kids to eat them). Creamed Spinach is my moms, I think. it has shallots, nutmeg, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and cream...so good.

No comments: