*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, September 28, 2009

Nursing Coming to a Close :(

I think my breastfeeding of Kelly might be sadly coming to a close. I've breastfed all 3 kids, but not as long as I've almost exclusively done Kelly. I'm not a die-hard "you must breastfeed" person, but I felt strongly about it for me and have enjoyed it tremendously for so many reasons. When I've tried to slow down or mix formula feedings and nursing, though, I lose my milk supply fast. Just this month, adding in the 3rd day at her home care seems to have officially started my decline. I'm not pumping as much as I used to and she is really hungry a lot despite having a full serving of all 3 meals and being over 90% in weight (my little heifer)!

I'm mostly bummed b/c there is nothing I enjoy more than sitting quietly in a room with her nursing sleepily and caressing my skin with her little hand and starting up at me dreamily. Just heaven. Secondly, she must have her formula warm (not the other kids) so being on the go and not being able to nurse will SUCK. No pun intended. Thirdly, it's helped me lose my baby weight and then some! I've not been able to drop my last 10 since before Shelagh, probably since before my wedding. It just fell off this time and I get angst just thinking about exercising, finding time to exercise, sweating in general. Oy. Let's hope my kids get Joe's sports and exercise genes or they are doomed to a life of huffing and puffing up stairs like me.

I'm not going to officially stop nursing until I'm forced to, but I see the end unfortunately. Boo hoo.

2 comments:

JFM said...

It's great you've been able to go this long! I broke down a couple of weeks ago and added in formula to the mix. Still nursing in the morning and night, and 1x during the day on the weekend. Seeing the decline though. I hear you on the sweet moments at night.

Also, started sweet potatoes this week! So fun, love making the food! I have butternut squash freezing as we speak.

xo

PopMom said...

i love making baby food. i'm winding down on that too these days unfortunately :( both shelagh and rory ate such a great variety of food (shelagh still, rory got picky around 1 1/2) b/c of it. The jars just don't offer close to what is out there whole.

i have a great book for food ideas and calendaring meal plans for baby food - Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel - she's got a bunch of great books.