*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shelaghs 1st Day of Kindergarten


Update...Above are the pictures from Day 1.

Today was Shelaghs 1st day of Kindergarten. Despite being pretty nervous about it, she did a great job this morning getting ready and posing for some pictures for me (will post later). Joe made her chocolate chip pancakes for her special 1st day and we all piled into the van to bring her together. She decided not to wear her special first day of school outfit and chose a colorful dress that she loves instead along with a variety of hair accoutrements. She looked totally cute with her backpack, which we packed up together last night, and was in good spirits as we pulled up to school. I thought we were on time, but the class was already inside so I walked her in. They were sitting in circle time when we arrived so she was hesitant at the door and thankfully a teacher reminded me that a quick goodbye was the best course of action. I was irritated at the time, but she was right.

Then, I got caught by the principal spying through the window..."Is there a problem?". No, I'm just one of THOSE parents. Oops.

The lump in my throat this morning was the size of a grapefruit. If I had seen anyone I knew I would have lost it for sure. It took all of my might to keep the tears back so that Shelagh, who was already nervous, couldn't see me and misinterpret my tears of pride and happiness for her. Okay, who am I kidding...there was also some anxiety and anticipation in there too, but she doesn't need to know that!!

I kind of wish they had started yesterday and had at least 2 days this week or waited until after Labor Day so that it wasn't just this one 1/2 day this week. Her biggest concern was not knowing who she would play with today. There is a set of twin boys from her preschool in her class that she likes, but "Mommy, I don't want to play with BOYS". So, that didn't reassure her much. We met 3-4 girls at the Kindy play date last week and we talked about them last night a bit. Let's hope she doesn't overthink all this as much as I do and she'll be fine!

I, on the other hand, am exhausted and need a drink and it's only 940am!

2 comments:

GreenStyleMom said...

You made it through! Can't wait to see pictures. Keeping my fingers crossed that this week goes just as smoothly.

jen said...

I am so glad that it went well! I was an emotional wreck on Spencer's first day, but I managed to keep it together until I was back safely in the car. He did really well, too. And I eventually recovered :).