*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze - Always the Outsiders

I think I might be the biggest Outsiders fan of all time. It was my favorite movie when I was a kid. I saw it countless times and own both the VHS (collecting dust in my storage room) and the book (cover falling apart). If it comes on TV and I spot it, that's it....I'm in like Shawshank. I can quote the beginning and ending pages and had the Stevie Wonder song (Stay Gold) and the Robert Frost poem ("Natures first green is gold. The hardest hue to hold...") committed to memory as well. This was probably the first movie I could quote hard-core and C. Thomas Howell has held a special place in my heart ever since despite the fact that Ponyboy Curtis was his best and arguably only good role (I liked Red Dawn, but he was a douche in it. He jumped the shark with Soul Man and other than a shitty guest spot on 24(?), he's been MIA). I liked Dirty Dancing (was not obsessed) and Ghost (solid love story, but a little hokey too thanks to Whoopi). Red Dawn, of course. Point Break - AWESOME other than the fact that Lori Petty annoys the shit out of me. But, his connection to the Outsiders is what brings me to a moment of silence for his passing. Big brother, Darry. Loved it and watching Rob Lowe and P.S. wrestling was worth every moment. Plus, who had better feathered hair??? Case in point...SNL Chippendales skit.

Okay, I can't just end there on the Outsiders. It's just too good. Was there ever a better cast????? C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, Diane Lane, Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Leif Garrett, even S. E. Hinton herself. Who could have predicted how many good careers would spin out of that start???? Francis Ford Coppola was on Stern a few weeks ago and while I didn't hear the whole interview, I heard most. I don't think anyone asked him about that movie, but damn...what a good one. Love those Greasers.

3 comments:

Chris Archibee said...

P-Swayz wasn't in Soul Man. It was C. Thomas Howell...Pony Boy, not Darry. Happy Birthday! I miss you.

Chris Archibee said...

nevermind i misread your note - you were talkin about C Thomas all along. Of course you got that right. sorry i doubted you!
-C Thomas Archibee

justin t said...

that cast rocked....might have to dust that off for my kids. this winter might be the season I introduce the kids to some classics: Outsiders, Rudy, October Sky