*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Movies: Where the Wild Things Are & W

Where the Wild Things Are: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie despite falling asleep a few times. That doesn't mean anything bad these days, it's pure tiredness not boredom. The little actor that played Max was wonderful. The music contributed perfectly to the sort of melancholy mood of the movie. I really didn't get how they would mix the fantasy and reality of the book let alone make a whole movie out of a book with few pages and words. But Spike Jonze did a great job...it blended so well and was very touching. Really liked it.

W: I like most Oliver Stone movies...certainly Platoon and Natural Born Killers is one of my favorites ever. I thought this movie was interesting. It was obviously not an impartial accounting of George Bush and his life before and during his presidency, but who expected that? I didn't love Elizabeth Banks as Laura (although I really like her). I thought Josh Brolin captured Bushes mannerisms and general appearance pretty well. The movie was too long. I didn't love who they cast for Colin Powell, but Richard Dreyfus as Cheney, the guy they picked for Karl Rove, and the woman playing Condaleeza Rice were all pretty good. The movie didn't quite do it for me, but it wasn't terrible either.

No comments: