*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring TV: Justified, Parenthood, the Pacific, Treme

With all the home time we've been logging due to our current circumstances, Joe and I are totally caught up with our TV schedule and have started a few new shows.

Justified: I'm 50/50 on Justified right now. This is on FX and is about 3-4 episodes in. It stars Tim Olyphant (Deadwood, a few films I can't think of right now and I'm too lazy to IMDB him - my work PC is slow today) and the creepy dude who played Shane on The Shield (another awesome FX show). Tim O plays a Federal Marshall working in his small W Va hometown tracking down White Power a-holes and other criminals. He is a bit too suave/too-cool-for-school for me so far, but Joe likes it. Plus, it's FX so it's already better than most network stuff. I'll wait it out and see how the season progresses before making a final judgement.

Parenthood: We watched 2 episodes so far and I like this. However, it has sad moments and I've bypassed it over the last few weeks since we have enough sad in our house right now. I'll go back to it though. I will say that I keep thinking of Maura Tierney in the role played now by Lauren Graham and while I like LG, I think MT would have been great. I LOVE Peter Krause although he is a hair whiney in this so far.

The Pacific: This is the miniseries based on the story of WW2 on the Pacific side of things. It was made by Stephen Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who did the same thing with the European side in Band of Brothers, which is perhaps one of the best miniseries of all time (other than The Thornbirds in my humble opinion. I'm sure Joe would vehemently disagree). We've seen BoB multiple times and get sucked in every time it's on regardless of which of the 10 episodes is playing. The Pacific is well done, but I have to say it's not grabbing us into the characters as much as BoB did. Still great though.

Treme: There have been 2 episodes of this New Orleans music/recovery/community show made by the guys who did the Wire. The Wire was so fabulous that despite me having little interest in this show I tuned in anyway and it doesn't disappoint. I'm totally in - it's nice to see Steve Zahn, Melissa Leo from that drug smuggling movie she was nominated for, and the chick from Deadwood who played the hooker/good business woman in that show get some juicy, cool roles. As with the Wire, it's hard sometimes to "translate" some language, inside info, and intricate politics. A friend told me about a blog run by one of the New Orleans web sites that elaborates on these things. I haven't checked it out yet, but I will. Maybe I'm falling for a one-sided view of what is going on in New Orleans; but, based on what I know about the people who put together the Wire from all points of view and with a lot of history and experience in Baltimore, I feel like they are exposing a lot of the day to day problems that N.O. has and continues to face after Katrina.

Also, Party Down Season 2 is starting this weekend. Hurray! Sad to see Jane Lynch and Jennifer Coolidge departing, but Megan Mullaley has signed on and Kristen Bell will be guest starring again which are all good signs. I did hear that the scruffy surfer guy might be leaving for another pilot, which would be a bummer, but I'm still in. It's a great show on Starz that you should tune in for if you have that channel. If not, I think they stream them online and some new episodes are already up according to Pop Candy.

Joe is officially out of Glee - it's too musical soap opera for him. I agree, but I like the unique renditions of songs that they pull out so I'm still watching. I could drop 1/2 the story lines at this point, but Ryan Murphy also did Nip/Tuck so I expected some ridiculousness in the plot.

I also started the last season of the Tudors, which is also complete soap opera. I love it though and Joely Richardson, from Nip/Tuck, is starring this season as King Henry's last wife.

That's it for now. Yes, I do other things in my life. TiVO helps me skip commercials and we really only watch 1 show or maybe an hour and a half-hour show per night. I keep meaning to have a "no TV" night, but whatever. I'm not a total vegetable...I read too.

No comments: